The Fiction of Wolf Moisan

The Boy and the Sea Dragon

The Sea

From which we came

Which is in all Cingala blood

Lost at Sea

Chapter One

Ang Lingesa

The naked, brown skinned boy was up in the crow’s nest above the main royal sail. He wore a pair of goggles, made of glass and brown leather, above his forehead. The sides went up to his chest. He stood facing the bow. He enjoyed being up there. He felt like he was on top of the world. He pretended to be a king looking over his realm from high above. He saw more of the world up here than on the deck. When he looked down to the deck, he saw the men working. They looked like insects crawling on the ground.

He looked around. The ship was under full sail. A steady wind came from starboard and stern as it had been for days. It blew his long, straight sun bleached sandy blond hair about. His hair would have hung below his shoulders without the wind. They were on the same course they had been on since leaving Cinga Archipelago. He looked past the ship. The ocean extended to the horizon.

He walked around the crow’s nest. He looked past the ship. The ocean extended to the horizon everywhere he looked. No land was in sight. He came to face the stern. The sails blocked part of his view. Beyond the mizzen royal sail, he could see the ship’s wake spreading behind it.

He came back to face the bow. The sun warmed him. He looked beyond the bow. He looked at the sky. Grey clouds seemed to be increasing. A black line appeared on the horizon. It suddenly lit up at various points along its length. He watched the line get bigger and slightly lighter. The sky turned grey as it became overcast. The line became a wall of clouds – dark and ominous. They lit up on occasion.

He looked down. The men were going about their chores. They seemed oblivious of what was coming toward them. He cupped his hands around his mouth. He screamed as loud as he could, “Lingesa!”

Everybody looked up at him. He was pointing toward the bow. They looked in that direction. They saw the storm.

The sea dragon flew through the air. It was on the other side of the storm. It flew toward the storm. It came close to the storm. The air was developing almost too much turbulence to fly. The sea dragon looked to find a way around the storm. The storm reached the horizon in all directions  in front of it. He looked up. The storm’s top was rather high. The turbulence was too rough to climb. He looked down. The water was too rough to float. The wind churned the water into huge waves. The waves could swamp him. They could toss him about. He saw no other way around it. The only course of action was to go underwater. He saw the lightning flashing. By the time he made his decision, the sun had disappeared. The sky was dark grey. Rain pelted him hard.

He stopped flapping his wings. He partially folded them. He made a nearly vertical descent toward the water. He drew his wings back, like some diving birds do. He hit the water cleanly. He submerged.

He leveled out underwater. He spread his wings out. He flapped them. He flew underwater, straight through the storm. This was the safest passage through it, he knew of.

A crewman walked to the captain’s office. He knocked on the door. He heard in Cingalia, the only language spoken on the ship, “Come in.”

He opened the door and entered. The captain sat at his varnished oak desk. He was looking at the supply list.

“Sir! We are approaching a storm. It looks bad,” the crewman said.

“I’ll be out in a minute,” the captain said.

“Yes, sir,” the crewman said. He spun around on his left heel. He exited the office.

The captain put the paper in a desk drawer. He got up. He grabbed his rain gear. He exited the office.

He looked up at the sky. It was overcast with dark clouds. He walked to the bow. He traced the line of darker clouds. It went from horizon to horizon. Bolts of lightning streaked across the clouds. A bolt struck the water.

The wind blew his shoulder length straight black hair. He looked at the water. The wind churned the water into big waves. The waves came at the ship. They slapped the hull. He got his rain gear on.

The clouds darkened as the boy watched. The wind became stronger. It was changing directions. He looked down beyond the ship. The water was choppy. He felt a raindrop on his bare skin.


Suddenly, the wind came directly off the bow. The ship quickly lost momentum. The boy lost his balance. He staggered into the crow’s nest wall. He held onto the side with both arms as his legs buckled. He nearly fell to his knees. He stood up. He looked down. Both stay sails between the fore and main masts flapped in the wind. the square sails on the masts were pressed against them. The ship was seemingly barely moving backwards. He knew that a sailing vessel could not sail directly into the wind.

The captain ran astern. He came to the helmsman. It started to sprinkle. He stopped and turned around. He barked, “Helmsman, turn the ship starboard. Men, tighten those sails!”

The helmsman cranked the helm to the right. The ship slowly backed to port. The crew grabbed the sheets. They hauled on them. They sang.

The jibs changed over to starboard. The captain walked to the hatch leading to the crew’s quarters. He yelled down, “All hands on deck. Bring raingear for everybody.”

Everybody below, even the night crew, came up to lend a hand. They got their rain gear on as they came. More rain gear was handed out. The sails on the masts swung around. Everybody grabbed sheets or braces. They hauled on them. They sang.

It started to rain in earnest. The wind grew stronger. The sails filled with the wind. They tightened. The masts creaked under the strain. The captain barked, “Take down the royal and topgallant sails! Bring down their yardarms!”

Some of the crew jumped on the ratlines.

The boy looked down. The ship was slowly turning. Men scurried to grab sheets or braces. The square sails swung around. The wind grew stronger. The sails filled and tightened. He heard the masts creak. The rain poured. He got soaked The men climbed onto the ratlines on the fore and main masts. When lightning flashed, it was too close for comfort. He said to himself, “Time to get down.”

He turned around. In the center, the top few feet on the main topgallant mast poked through. On the starboard and port sides, there were holes big enough for a heavy set adult to go through, in the wet floor. The topgallant shrouds went through the holes. He made his way to the mast. Rivers of water ran down his body. Water poured off the ends of his soaking wet hair. Water ran down the mast.

He grabbed the soaking wet port shroud. He got on a wet ratline. He climbed down through the hole. Lightning flashed. Thunder roared. He said to himself, “I must get down fast. It’s going to be rough.”

He climbed down the wet topgallant ratlines.

The jibs and topsails filled with the wind. They tightened. The helmsman straightened the rudder. The captain looked around. He did not see the boy. The first mate stood beside him. The captain said, “Iyo, is Zuang below?”

“No, sir,” Iyoseching said.

“Where is he, then,” the captain asked.

“He is at the top of the main mast, sir,” Iyoseching said.

“Get him down! That is not a place for a six year old boy to be in this weather!” the captain demanded.

“Aye, captain, sir,” Iyoseching said. He turned. He walked to the wet main mast port shroud. He climbed up the ratlines.

Zuangeng stopped when he got on the wet topmast ratlines. He looked out to the sea. The wind was churning up the water. The waves were getting larger. Some of the crew in rain gear passed him. Someone said, “Zuangeng, you need to get down to the deck, now!”

“Aye, sir,” Zuangeng replied. He continued down the ratlines. He came to the wet lower ratlines. He climbed down them. He met Iyoseching a few steps down.

Iyoseching saw him. He stopped without a word. Zuangeng looked at him as Iyoseching nodded approval. The two of them climbed down to the deck.

Zuangeng stood on the wet deck where he got off the shrouds. Iyoseching rejoined the captain. Zuangeng held onto a wet shroud. He watched the men work. Everybody, except him, wore soaking wet rain gear. Crew were on all three masts. Some crew remained on deck.

The deck crew loosened the required sheets. They let out the halyards, lowering the six yardarms.

The mast crew detached the royal sails from the yardarms. They lowered them to the deck. The deck crew freed, gathered, folded and stowed the sails. Lightning flashed and thunder roared as they worked. Rain came down in sheets. The wind howled through the rigging.

The mast crew climbed down to the topgallant sails. The same procedure was done on them. The royal yardarms were lowered to the deck. The mast crew cleared the yardarms of the rigging and the topgallant yardarms. The deck crew detached the yardarm rigging. The yardarms were stowed away. The same procedure was done on the topgallant yardarms.

The wind whipped the water into ever bigger waves. Zuangeng looked out over the water. Rain pockmarked the water. Waves came at the ship from port and bow. The ship rode the waves. The bow rose on a wave. It fell, smacking the water. Water sprayed out from the impact. Zuangeng kept a hold on the shroud. The captain and Iyoseching were steady on their feet. They rode with the ship.

The wind increased in speed and strength. Waves battered the ship. They washed over the sides. Zuangeng saw and felt one batter the shroud he was holding onto. He turned around. He felt them hit his back. Rain continued falling in sheets. It soaked everything and everyone outside. Water ran off the remaining yardarms and horizontal rigging. Water ran down the masts, shrouds and stays. He felt water pooling where his hand contacted the shroud. He felt it running over his hand and fingers.

Everybody looked up the masts. The staysails were working loose. They threatened to tear themselves to shreds. The captain yelled, “Take the staysails down before we loose them.”

The mast crew went aloft again. All the staysails were loosened and lowered to the deck. They were freed, folded and stored.

The captain ordered, “Take down the flying jib and its stay. Bring down the topgallant stays.”

The crew brought the flying jib down. They folded and stored it. The crew went aloft. They loosened the requested stays. They let them drop. The deck crew coiled and stored the stays. The captain said, “Bring the topgallant masts down.”

The deck crew got the necessary tools. They tied them to the halyards. They raised them to the crew still on the masts.

The mast crew freed the masts. They carefully lowered them to the deck. The deck crew took the crow’s nest off. It and the masts were stowed away.

Zuangeng stayed where he was. One wave came over the railing and his head. It hit the deck in front of him. The wave crest came down on top of him. He tilted his head down. The water swept over the deck.

The captain looked around. He noticed Zuangeng standing at the shroud. A streak of lightning and crack of thunder came. A wave came down on the boy. He waited until the wave was gone. He yelled at him, “Zuangeng!”

Zuangeng raised his head to look at him. The captain yelled, “Beinga siema!”

“Yeala, tiana,” Zuangeng yelled back. He turned to head for the nearest hatch. Out of the corners of his eyes, he saw a wave coming. He turned his head to watch it. He waited. The wave came up over the side. He raised his head as he watched it rise over his head. He followed it crashing down on the deck, swamping it. A lightning bolt flashed. A loud boom of thunder followed. Once the water cleared, Zuangeng made his move. He faced the hatch. He let go of the shroud. He ran toward the hatch. The captain was watching him. He turned his attention to other matters.

Zuangeng was about half way to the hatch. A huge wave came. It hit the deck near his heels. The water bounced up. It hit him in the small of the back. The force of the water knocked him onto his stomach. The water washed over the deck. It pushed him toward the hatch. It subsided. He tried to get on his feet. Another wave came. It crashed on the deck and his legs. It knocked him back down. The water pushed him past the hatch.

He managed to get back on his feet. He looked around. He cried, “Aye, ingayala! I missed the hatch!”

He turned around. He tried to make the hatch against a fierce wind. The wind continued to howl through the remaining rigging. In spite of being soaking wet, his hair thrashed about behind him. Torrents of water flowed down his body. Water sprayed form his hair. He leaned into the wind. His head was down.

He looked up to see a wave coming. It was the biggest he had ever seen. It landed on the deck almost at his feet. The water splashed up. It hit him in the pit of his stomach. It knocked him down. It sent him to the starboard railing.

He got back on his feet again. A bigger wave came. It nearly swamped the ship. It hit the deck close to his feet. The rebounding water picked him up. It carried him over the side. He fell on his back. He righted himself.

He landed in the ocean, feet first. He closed his eyes to keep water out of them. He submerged under water. He swam to the surface. He tread water. He shook his head vigorously. Water sprayed off his hair. He opened his eyes. He watched the ship receding through curtains of rain. He yelled at the ship. The howling of the wind through the rigging and thunder drowned out his voice. Rain and waves hit his face. Some sea water got in his eyes. It stung. His eyes watered. He pulled his goggles down over his eyes. Sea water got into his mouth. He spat it out.

He looked at the ship. Only the lower six square sails, the inner two jibs and the mizzen sail were left. He tried yelling again to no avail. Waves pushed him away from the ship.

A big wave came his way. It came crashing down on top of him. He went under water. Water got in his throat. He swam to the surface. He coughed up and spat out water. He found himself further from the ship. He had difficulty seeing it through the sheets of rain. He swam toward the ship. He could not swim fast enough. He had to fight the waves trying to push him. They were winning. Lightning flashed. Thunder roared. The ship got further from him.

Another wave sent him under again. This time, he had his mouth closed. He held his breath. He resurfaced. The ship was nowhere to be seen. He was alone in the water. He cried. He stopped swimming, finding it to be futile. He bobbed with the waves. He would never make it. His only hope would be that they would find him missing, turn around and come back to look for him. Time went by as he tread water, trying to stay on the surface. The rough water made it difficult. Several times, he almost sunk. He continued to bob with the waves. There was no such luck. He felt that there would be no rescue. He cried feeling so lost and alone. He felt that he would not make it. This was the end. He would drown.

A big wave came his way. He simply gave up. There was no sense in fighting the inevitable. The wave swamped him. He no longer struggled. He  went limp, as he sank. He closed his eyes. His mouth opened. Air bubbles escaped and rose from his mouth and nose. He breathed in water instead of air. His lungs filled with water. This made it harder to breath. He passed out as his breathing became shallower. He continued to sink. He faced downward. His arms and legs were splayed out.

The main top sail tore. The captain yelled, “Loose that sail! Bring down the remaining topsails! Bring down the top yardarms! Break out the storm sails!”

Some crew went aloft. The fore and mizzen topsails were brought down, folded and stored. The main topsail was freed. The wind blew it away. The yardarms were lowered and stowed. Other crew went below. They brought up the storm sails. The captain yelled, “Bring down the courses! Get the storm sails set!”

The courses were freed, folded and stowed. The storm sails were set in their places. These sails were smaller and stronger. The captain yelled, “Brace those yardarms! Bring down the jibs and mizzen!”

The jibs and mizzen were stowed away.

It continued to rain hard. Lightning flashed and thunder roared. Waves battered the ship. They went over the port side to crash on the deck. The men held on tightly to the rigging. Some men made it to the hatch between waves. They went below.

The captain remained on deck. He headed for the main mast. He made it to the starboard shrouds. He got on the ratlines. He held on tight due to the ship rocking. He said to himself, “I’m taking a terrible risk climbing up.”

He climbed up to the top of the topmast. He looked around himself. The storm was mostly in all directions. He saw a glimmer of hope to starboard. There was a sliver of sunlight. There was a rainbow.

He climbed down to the deck. He walked astern along the starboard rails. He reached the helm. He stood beside the helmsman. He said, “Hard starboard!”

The helmsman rapidly cranked the helm to the right. The ship turned to starboard. When he was satisfied with the direction the ship was heading, the captain said, “Straighten the rudder! Set the sails and brace them!”

The helmsman straightened the rudder. The men adjusted the sais and braced the yardarms.

The captain said, “Get below, men! Batten down the hatch!”

The men went below.

“We’ll lash down the helm,” the captain told the helmsman. They lashed the helm. This kept the helm from turning. They walked into the captain’s office. The captain locked the door. Everybody shed their raingear. They waited out the storm.

The sea dragon looked up as he flew. After a while, he saw the silhouette of a ship’s bottom. He surfaced to investigate. When he surfaced, he raised his head for a look. It was raining in sheets. He saw lightning and heard thunder. The wind was blowing something fierce. Large waves washed over him. He remained on the surface. His wings remained spread out.

He saw the ship. It was the same one that hit him a few days ago. The masts were shorter than he remembered. The only sails present were the courses. They appeared smaller the he recalled. There appeared to be no one on board. He thought, “Everybody must be below deck out of this weather.”

He sank his head in the water. He arched his back. He sank back under water. He flew for a while.

He resurfaced again. He raised his head. He was still in the storm. The rain made it a little difficult to see. Suddenly, he said to himself, “Did I see something bobbing up and down in the water?”

The ship was not in sight. A wave obscured the bobbing object, occasionally.

Out of curiosity, he swam to investigate. The object disappeared in a wave. It was not seen again. He said to himself, “Must be my imagination.”

He dove back under. He found it again, sinking. He flew closer to the object. It got bigger. He got close enough to see it clearly. It was the boy he had talked with a few days ago. The boy had something where his eyes were. The boy was not struggling for the surface. The sea dragon thought, “He must be drowning!”

The sea dragon became alarmed. He flapped his wings and wagged his shark’s tail furiously. He tried to catch the boy before he died.

He reached the boy. He circled around. He got underneath the boy. He rose up to catch him. The boy’s feet touched his back first. They were caught between two pairs of fins. One pair was on each side of his back. He continued to rise. The boy’s body settled on his back. Both arms were caught between two more pairs of fins. He banked to the right. He continued to rise. He thought, “I hope I’ll clear the storm by the time I resurface. I hope he will be alive then.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s